Different MgO based surfaces were tested to be used as the stop surface:
All these samples had a usable surface area of 1 to 2 cm.
The following surface was tested for use as a conversion surface:
- 200nm MgO on graphite on Si substrate (`t4-200')
- 150nm AlO on 150nm MgO on graphite substrate
- 150nm MgO on 150nm AlO on graphite substrate
- 150nm AlO on graphite substrate (rough surface)
- different MgO on graphite samples exposed to air for a prolonged time.
This conversion surface had a size of 10mm x 10mm. The remaining surface
roughness was typically of the order of 1nm as specified
by the supplier .
- MgO single crystal, (100) orientation, one side polished to the maximum
extent possible (roughness < 5nm, 1nm typical)
March 2001 - Martin Wieser, Physikalisches Institut, University of Berne, Switzerland